Saturday, April 25, 2009

Lettuce is the New Eggs

I apologize if I ramble a little bit, but today I bought 36 heads of lettuce, 3 arugula plants, 4 tomato plants, 2 cucumber plants, 2 basil, 2 parsley, 2 cilantro, 2 mint, 1 oregano, 1 thyme, and 3 garlic chive plants. And then decided to plant them all in one day. If I have a hunchback the next time you see me this is why. I also took Matt to the airport, went to Home Depot AND Ikea, and solved the Middle East conflict. It's only 5pm. It's amazing what you can do when you get up early and don't take a nap. Stupid being 30 and responsible.

This is the 85 feet of lettuce that I planted around the roses already in the yard. I have limited places to put pots right now because the construction guys keep needing to use the deck, so for right now the parsley and cilantro are living in pots in the garden.
Two tomato plants where the compost pile used to be. Did I mention that I removed the compost pile? I did that too. Vegetables that haven't composted are slimy and roses never loose their thorns. I generally put the cage the other way (upside down) but these are in prime area to get knocked over by construction guys, so I'm giving them some protection.
Close up of the lettuce. It's six different varieties that do well in extreme heat are slow to bolt. It took less than two hours until Teddy laid down on an entire row.
My herb garden. Because I buy so much basil and that stupid hyrdo basil plant never works for me. It's in pots because I am officially out of space in my garden. If I want to plant anything else I need to pull up the grass.

Garlic chives. These might have been my favorite thing we got in the CSA last year.
I'm going to go take about 5 aspirin and go to sleep.

2 comments:

Cat said...

Those hydro basil plants don't work for anybody...

Anonymous said...

Salad for everyone!

I thought you moved the compost pile, not removed it. Bummer...