Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Genes

Most of the time I blame my craziness on my mother. She's a one of a kind wackadoodle with a very colorful vocabulary for a minister's wife. I get my pale skin, blonde hair, and the need to make my own sounds effects for everything from her. From my father I get my blue eyes, tennis playing, and a talent for eye rolling. The smart@ss comes from both sides. But every once in a while my dad does something that reminds me he's got his own level of craziness.

Yesterday was my dad's birthday and I sent him an email telling him I hope he's having a great time whatever he's doing. This is what I got back.
"Thanks, sweetheart. I'm in Kenya on the shores of Lake Naivasha in the Great Rift Valley. It's almost 6PM on the 7th, and I'm about to go down to look at the flamingos and hippos. Maybe I should take my malaria prophylaxis (otherwise known as G&T*) first!"
Let me get this straight. You're going to have a few drinks and then go play with wild animals? That seems like a great idea...

Book smarts and common sense are two very different things.

*G&T is gin and tonic for those of you who don't speak WASP.

No comments: