Saturday, July 4, 2009

Diary of an IVF Cycle - Trigger Tonight

Happy 4th of July! Celebrate the founding of your country with a shot in the ass.

This morning I went in for blood work and an ultrasound and the results came back tonight with a trigger shot this evening with a retrieval on Monday. That means I'm down to my last three shots! Sweet! The tech doing the ultrasound said it looks like there are 11-12 follicles, which is good, and that they are almost ready to go. I am immensely grateful to Matt for coming with me this morning and letting me hold his hand, because the only worse than early morning ultrasounds, are early morning ultrasounds that poke you in your swollen parts. While I can't see the ovaries from the outside, I can definitely feel them when I poke my stomach. Also, my right ovary is the "powerhouse" ovary, the left one is a sissy. We're very technical over here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I found your blog this morning and love it! I love food and adore being in the kitchen. And we are starting our first IVF cycle this week. I am terrifed in so many ways, but appreciate what you have written here. I can't wait to try some of the recipes you have shared here to keep my mind off of what we will be enduring shortly.

Alicia said...

Thank you so much. The cycle hasn't been as bad as it was in my head leading up, so I think the key is not to wind yourself up too much.

Also, if you aren't already in one, I highly recommend a RESOLVE support group. I do one once a month and it's great way to talk with other people going through the same thing. You hear things from them that you're not going to hear from your nurse. It's also nice to hear how other people handle some of the issues (do you tell work, do you tell friends, etc) that everyone deals with.

You really should start with the bread salad if it looks good. It's everyone's favorite.

Good luck and I'll be thinking of you.

Anonymous said...

It's me again. I have my fingers crossed for you. I am day 2 in 2ww - sheer agony. I did like having the chance to catch up with you here.

This cycle was actually not bad at all. Much easier than our last IUI. Thanks for the tip on the support groups.