Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Diary of an IVF Cycle - Vicious Circus

Last night we had to call in reinforcements, specifically Matt's mom. The dosing instructions were very confusing and the dose was given in IUs, but the syringe was in CCs. She talked us thru it and was extremely helpful while we figured out what the hell we were doing. Everyone should have at least one nurse in the family and we are very lucky to have three mom/nurses to call in with questions.

I'm beginning to feel more and more side effects, but not in the way I was anticipating. I expected to be on edge and angry and have a temper. What has happened is I'm exhausted, but can't sleep because of night sweats, and having really bad cramps, made worse by caffeine, which make me achy and want to be curled up in bed. I was explaining it to Matt last night and said it was a vicious circus when I meant to say vicious cycle. I think vicious circus works just as well. Can you tell that I'm also currently working with oatmeal instead of a brain?

4 comments:

Cat said...

This is a very interesting development. The symptoms you describe sound exactly like the first few weeks of parenthood. These might just be the smartest drugs ever - they give you a last minute "Are you really sure you want this?" warning!!

Keep going, and I hope it gets better very soon!

Lesli said...

IVF is most likely in my futute...thank you for setting my expectations accordingly :)

Alicia said...

I highly recommend getting someone else to give you the shots, and finding a doctor who's ok with a glass of wine mixing with the meds. Helps tremendously.

Lesli said...

Hmmm...I think Jay would actually love the idea of sticking me with a needle...and wine is a must..oh yeah