Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Yes We Can

Matt and I got to go to the White House today for what was originally billed as a reception, but was more like an open house. We got a tour and then were lucky enough to meet the First Lady. She was gracious, not nearly as tired as I expected. She's very pretty and much more delicate looking in person. I welcomed her to Washington, DC and she thanked me for coming. Matt told her it was an honor to meet her and she tanked him for coming. As we left the White House kitchen staff gave us White House cookies (pictured above.)
When we got to the White House, we stood in line to give them our names. The Secret Service guy said he recognized my name as he checked me in. I'm going to assume that's a good thing and not something to be concerned about.
The only disappointing thing to the visit was the behavior of a number of people who attended the reception. There was a lot of yelling with excitement and general ruckus. I don't mean to sound like an old lady, but it's the freakin' White House, use your inside voice and treat it with the respect it deserves. Matt and I were complimented by one of the worst offenders who was amazed at how calm we were. It wasn't calm, it was being polite.

No comments: