Sunday, April 27, 2008

Cinnamon Bread as French Toast

This morning was French Toast with cinnamon bread that I bought at the farmer's market yesterday. I sliced the bread into 3/4 inch slices and soaked them in a combination of 4 eggs, 1 cup of milk, a pinch of salt, and a splash of vanilla extract (thanks Joy of Cooking) for about 5 minutes, turning once.


With a saute pan on medium heat, I melted 1 TB of butter and let it heat for about 2 minutes. Once the butter stopped bubbling, I put in each of the four slices (now swollen with the egg mixture) in the pan, being careful not to crowd the pan. The key to perfect French Toast? Don't move the bread! Let it brown for 4-5 minutes before flipping once. Let the second side brown for another 3-4 minutes and serve. Matt likes his with a little powered sugar (I have a shaker filled with powered sugar in my spice drawer) and maple syrup.
I like mine with strawberries left over from lunch yesterday. I'm also one of those freaks that prefer applesauce with my pancakes.



No comments: