Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Has potential to be the best thing ever

Last night I found myself home with no hubby to feed, so I was on my own for dinner. I usually try to take advantage of nights like these to make something that he would never eat but that I have been craving recently. Last night was no exception so black olives and goat cheese needed to be involved. I give you my dinner that has the potential to be the greatest summertime dinner, once I play around with it a little more.

You will need
3 oz. goat cheese, at room temperature
1 tsp olive oil
splash of heavy cream
1 TB chopped basil
1 green onion, finely chopped
1/2 tsp garlic powder
3 black olives, pitted and chopped fine
2 ripe tomatoes, cut into slices
2 thick cut slices of toast

Combine everything but the tomatoes and toast in a small bowl and stir until well blended. Taste for salt and pepper and adjust according to taste. Spread cheese mixture thickly on each piece of toast. Top with sliced tomatoes and eat immediately.

It was so good that I almost made another two slices for myself, but actually showed some restraint. The next time I make it I will probably add a touch more cream (increase to 2 tsp), more basil (another 1/2 TB), nix the olive oil (the cream made the cheese smoother than the olive oil), and add a tsp of chopped fresh thyme. If we hadn't broken our toaster, this would be a perfect dinner because I wouldn't have to turn the oven on.

No comments: